We all know how important it is to brush our teeth daily. Most dentist will recommend brushing at least twice per day. A majority of people will brush their teeth upon rising and then again before going to bed. Others state that it is best to do it after each meal. Whatever you believe, as long as you are brushing at least two times a day, that is all that matters.
***Disclosure -The links in this post contain affiliate links and I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my link.***
Coconut Oil Toothpaste Recipe
The following recipe was created by a dentist named Dr. Vinograd. To make this, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 4-6 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons Xylitol, which has been blended into a fine powder (you will also want to reserve some for taste)
- 20 drops essential oils
To begin, you want to melt the coconut oil on medium heat. Using a double broiler is often the best method. Once the coconut oil has melted, you can stir in the baking soda. Add the Xylitol, adding more if you like a sweeter toothpaste. Add your choice of essential oils, stirring well.
The mixture will solidify. After this has taken place, stir it well once more to make sure all baking soda has been incorporated into the mixture.
To get the Xylitol into a fine powder, you can use a blender or a coffee grinder. The finer the powder, the more easily it will dissolve into the mixture.
Why Does This Coconut Oil Toothpaste Have The Best Ingredients?
This is one of the best coconut oil toothpaste recipes as it was created by a holistic dentist. The ingredients that are used will really benefit the teeth.
- Coconut oil has a high lauric acid content, so this oil is not only antimicrobial, but also
- Baking soda has been known to whiten the teeth. But it will also neutralize bacteria in the mouth and make the gums healthy. Plaque can also be removed when baking soda is used.
- Xylitol helps by fighting cavities off in the mouth. Mouth PH can be raised when this
ingredient is used, and helps saliva to flow in the mouth.
- Essential oils will not only make your toothpaste smell and taste good, but they are also full of antibacterial properties.
How To Use Coconut Oil Toothpaste
To use your coconut oil toothpaste, you will want to use a spatula to place a small amount of toothpaste onto your brush. Brush like you would with toothpaste. Do note that since the oil will be in a solid form, it may take a while for it to fully dissolve in the mouth. Brush for the full two minutes, or however long your dentist has recommended, then spit as normal and rinse the mouth well.
Benefits Of Using Coconut Oil Toothpaste
Using coconut oil for toothpaste is a wise move. There are some huge benefits of using coconut oil toothpaste. These include:
- As coconut oil contains medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs), bacterial strains in the mouth can be eliminated. This means that bad breath can be a thing of the past, as this is what can cause this. Also, infections will be lowered, as MCFAs is what often causes these.
- Coconut oil is not expensive; therefore, the coconut oil toothpaste is on the cheaper side. You will save money by making only one tube!
- Coconut oil toothpaste is fluoride free. Many individuals find that when fluoride is used in the body, adverse effects are seen on the hormones. Stomach issues can also be seen when fluoride is taken, as can skin rashes, tooth discoloration, and issues with glucose metabolism.
- Canker sores are often a result of toothpastes on the market that have agents in them that make them foam up. Homemade coconut oil toothpaste will not foam up, so you do not have to worry about getting canker sores. Another issue with these foaming agents, such as the commonly used one sodium laurel sulfate (SLS), is that they get in the way of our taste buds. This will often produce a bitter taste in the mouth when a store bought toothpaste is used.
- Coconut oil can fight gum disease, as this is often a cause of plaque buildup on the teeth. Studies have been done to show how great oil pulling is for the teeth and removing plaque. While you will not have the toothpaste in your mouth for as long as you would the oil pulling, it can still be helpful in fighting the formation of this sticky substance.
- Using coconut oil for toothpaste is safe for the Earth! Store bought toothpaste can contain carcinogens, and may not degrade very easily.
Read Also: Is Coconut Oil Good For You?
Coconut oil toothpaste has many great benefits. Not only is it great for our pocketbooks as it is inexpensive to make, it is also cheaper than a tube of toothpaste. One can flavor it with various kinds of essential oils to customize their desired flavor. You will also know what you are putting in your mouth, and not have to worry about any adverse effects, such as canker sores. Coconut oil toothpaste is a great thing to use for healthy teeth!